The Academy Selection Center is an affiliate of the IRSC Criminal Justice Institute. The sole purpose of the Selection Center is to test applicants through various means to determine if the applicant is trainable and if the applicant possesses those traits that might make them hirable after academy training. Students applying to the Law Enforcement Academy or Corrections Academy must first be processed through the Academy Selection Center.
Eligibility for Testing
- Be at least 19 years of age by time of academy completion.
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have graduated from High School or have obtained a state-issued GED certificate or equivalent, as determined acceptable by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.
- Possess a valid driver's license. The applicant must have a valid Florida Driver's License at the time of the Academy entry.
- Be of good moral character, as defined in the Selection Center Policy Manual.
- Not have been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or false statements as the terms are defined by law, regardless of whether or not adjudication has been withheld.
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States.
Not have falsified their application or personal history forms.
- Not have used marijuana for three years prior to application. This must have been a casual use (not more than 25 times).
- Not have ever used, transported, grown, manufactured or sold any illegal substance other than the marijuana exception as previously noted.
Not have had a suspended drivers license for three years prior to application.
Other eligibility requirments are defined in greater depth in the Selection Center Policy Manual.
Prior to the beginning of the selection process, the applicant must successfully pass:
- Basic Abilities Test (BAT score vaild for 4 years) - $40.00 fee
Physical Abilities Test (PAT score vaild for 6 months) - $20.00 fee
Personal History Questionnaire
CJSTC form 58
CJSTC form 75
CJSTC form 75A
CJSTC form 75B
Selection Center Policy Manual
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Criminal History Check
- Background Investigation